Side Effects of Waxing
There is large number of options like plucking, shaving, waxing, etc. available to get rid off unwanted body hairs. Waxing is considered to be one of the most popular and effective hair removal methods. Waxing besides removing unwanted hairs it also acts as a form of exfoliation. If waxing has advantages it also has some disadvantages. Some of the side effects of waxing are listed below:
- Loss of Skin Suppleness and Elasticity: This one of the long term waxing side effect. It is observed that skin losses its elasticity and suppleness due to regular and prolonged use waxing. This generally occurs because of the ripping off the applied wax used during waxing.
- Wrinkle Formation: The second commonly observed long term waxing side effect. Regular waxing increases the risk of wrinkle formation. As the skin tends to loose its elasticity and suppleness gradually it develops wrinkles.
- Irritation and Redness: This is one of most commonly seen side effect associated with waxing. It is observed that many people develop irritation and redness of skin soon after waxing. Though skin irritation and redness could be subsided with the application of ice on the affected area.
- Skin Rashes, Reddish Bumps and Slight Subcutaneous Bleeding: These waxing side effects are generally observed in people with highly sensitive skin. Even the sensitive body parts like bikini area also show such waxing side effects.
- Skin Darkening and Burns: When waxing is done with overheated wax it may result in skin darkening and burns. Application of overheated wax may result in reddish brown spots. These spots appear as a result of post-inflammatory pigmentation. Mainly depending of the type of skin it might take a week to 1 year for pigmentation to fade out.
- Skin Infection: This waxing side effect mainly appears due to the application of infected or unclean waxing products for the procedure. Remember that diabetic people should avoid waxing because their skin is more susceptible for skin infection especially to deadlier and resistant bacteria.
- Allergic Reactions: This side effect of waxing is generally observed in people with wax and its product allergy. Allergic reactions may include severe skin rash to folliculitis. It is also seen that people with sensitive skin also develops pustules in the waxed area. It is advisable to you to visit your dermatologist immediately on the development of allergic reaction. In case your skin is sensitive and you are trying waxing for the first time then it is better to go for a patch test of wax.
- Ingrown Hairs: The problem of ingrown hairs is also referred as Pseudofolliculitis. Basically the major reason for the development of this waxing side effect is that waxing is done in the opposite direction of follicle.
It is observed that above mentioned waxing side effects are observed when the waxing is done improperly or if the skin highly sensitive. It is better to go to an experienced professional for waxing unwanted hair.
How to Avoid Side Effects of Waxing?
Here are some of the important tips to avoid side effects of waxing:
- Make sure that before waxing your skin should be perfectly non-greasy and dry.
- At least for 24 hours after waxing protect your skin from the direct sunlight exposure.
- It is better not to wear tight cloths after waxing.
- Immediately after waxing it is advisable to apply cold compresses, ice packs or any soothing lotion especially in case of irritation and redness.
- Before applying hot wax on your skin it is better to check its temperature by applying it on the back of your hand.
- In case you are taking Vitamin A products for acne like Accutane, Retin A, Differin, etc. or any other medication then it advisable to avoid waxing. Basically your skin becomes prone to tearing.
- If your skin sun burnt, infected, broken or irritated then also it is advisable to avoid waxing.
If you approach a professional for waxing then the chances of waxing side effects are almost negligible. Hence it is always better to choose an experienced professional and also make sure that the place is clean and the strips used are disposable.