Will Turmeric Remove Head Hair?
Many of us are new to the traditional methods of hair removal especially in light of the Indian context. Turmeric is the bright yellow stem that belongs to the ginger family, an essential ingredient in the Indian cuisine. Apart from its culinary usage, turmeric is used as a beauty aid, and for its medical usage as a hair growth inhibitor.
Turmeric has been used by Indian women long since as a hair remover and as a hair growth inhibitor over a period of time. Turmeric generally removes the fine hair and diminishes the growth and is not that effective in removal of dense hair. To answer the query whether turmeric removes head hair? The answer is no!
But, it does help in reducing the growth of fine hair. Let us know how. Curcumin, a component found in turmeric has negative impact on hair growth and it helps in reducing and subsequently inhibiting the fine hair growth. It was studied in rats that turmeric helps inhibit a necessary compound required for hair growth and results in reducing it to a major extent.
Which Type of Turmeric is Good?
Raw turmeric and cooking turmeric are the two major varieties of Turmeric. While cooking turmeric tints the skin yellow on frequent usage, the facial quality turmeric is best for removal of hair. In the Asian stores, try the Kasturi Manjal or Gopuram brand turmeric.
How to Use Turmeric in Removal of Hair?
- Prepare a mix of turmeric and add other natural ingredients to make a nice paste.
- Rub the prepared mixture on the face in a circular motion.
- Leave the paste for about five minutes and wash it off with either cold or lukewarm water.
Types of Turmeric Paste
Turmeric paste can be prepared in various combinations with different ingredients. Let us know a few of the commonly used mixtures to remove hair.
- Take a tablespoon of gram flour and with it mix a pinch or two of turmeric, some rose water or milk and a few drops of oil. Mix all the ingredients nicely and apply it on the face. Leave it for 20-25 minutes. Rub the dried paste away; this diminishes a lot of fine facial hair. Repeat this procedure twice in a week.
- Turmeric mixed with a few drops of raw milk is a simple and good combination for removal of hair.
- It is commonly said that turmeric mixed with sugar is used for natural removal of unwanted hair and it also removes the dead cells layer and exfoliates the skin.
- Mix chickpea flour in water/milk to form a thick paste. Add a teaspoon of fresh cream and a pinch of turmeric powder to this, and apply in the direction of hair growth. Let the mask dry completely. Scrub it in the opposite direction of hair growth. This might irritate the skin but this aids in removal of fine hair. Follow this remedy on a regular basis to reduce the hair growth on the cheeks and chin.
- For the rest of the body, i.e., face, arms and legs, apply a paste of one tablespoon of black gram flour with a pinch of turmeric and one teaspoon of yogurt. Apply this evenly and allow it to dry. Scrub this paste off gently.
Apart from aiding in removal of hair, turmeric cleans the face and adds glow to the skin. When mixed with mildly abrasive ingredients like chickpea flour or rice flour or gram flour etc and other essential items it can exfoliate the dead cells, expose a new skin layer, and give a fresh look.