Hair Follicle Drug Test – How Is It Done?
Hair follicle drug test has now gained popularity as the most trusted drug detection methods. This test relies on the principle that once the human body consumes a substance, that is carried and deposited in the hair follicles by the blood stream, and, as such, traces of that substance remain in the hair follicles for a 90-day period. As this is a zero-tolerance test, which implies that even the minutest amount of drug shows up on the test. Hair follicle drug test has consistently proved to be more effective compared to urinalysis and various other tests to identify drug abusers. Drug testing is used as a mandatory check by the federal government, and in this scenario, hair follicle drug test has proven to be the most accurate test.
Basis of Hair Follicle Drug Test
Anything that one eats, drinks, or breathes in enters one’s blood stream and later goes on to the hair follicles, to “nourish hair,” and gets deposited at the hair follicle. By taking a small sample of hair at the scalp, hair analysts determine the total amount of drug metabolites that are deposited inside the hair shaft.
Advantages of Hair Follicle Drug Test over Urinalysis
- In urinalysis, traces of the substance show up if the substance is in the blood stream. However, in case of hair follicle drug testing, the follicles hold traces of the substances even long after the substance has left the blood stream.
- Drug detection window is larger (upto 90 days) for hair follicle drug test.
- Body hair can also be used in the drug test even though this is comparatively less effective than the head hair.
- Bleaching, shampooing, and external contamination are known to have no impact on the test results.
- Substances like cocaine, marijuana, opiates, methamphetamine, phencyclidine, PCP, ecstasy can be traced in a hair follicle drug test.
- Hair follice drug testing gives a level of accuracy equivalent to ten times of other testing methods.
- Hair follicle drug testing wipes out the embarrassment of collection of urine or saliva samples; only a few hair samples need to be collected.
- Hair follicle drug testing can be done without the knowledge of the individual.
Types of Hair Follicle Drug Test
- Self-Collection Hair Test. Test Country Hair Drug Testing Kit is an ideally designed kit for faster and accurate hair drug testing needs. Once a hair sample has been collected, it is sealed in an envelope and sent to a participating laboratory for completion. All results are provided in written format and are reviewed by a Medical Review Officer.
- Lab-based Hair Test. Hair sample is collected at one of the labs of choice. This test kit is designed for pre-employment purpose.
Beneficiaries of Hair Follicle Drug Test
- Law enforcement officials – Federal government uses this drug test to regulate drug abuse.
- Employers – Current and future employers can use this drug test to determine the drug usage of their current or future employees.
- Parents – Parents can use the hair follicle drug test to verify their children’s drug abuse, to safeguard them against drug abuse, or help them quit drug abuse.