Homemade Sugaring Paste
Removing unwanted body hair can be done at home with the help of many temporary methods and sugaring is one of them. The sugar wax helps remove the unwanted curls or hair from arms, legs, armpits, bikini line, back and stomach, and it can be used both by men and women. Sugaring paste is one of the oldest methods of hair removal and was majorly practiced by the natives of Egypt.
It is a temporary way of getting rid of the undesired curls using simple items like sugar, honey, glycerin, water, and lemon juice and the wax can be easily made at home. It results in hair free skin anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks.
Sugaring Wax Recipes:
Generally two types of sugar wax are available in the market, the first one is the traditionally made paste, and the second one is the gel. We will be learning about the traditional gel and the paste recipe. Following are the ingredients required for it to have a smooth skin:
Recipe For Sugaring Paste:
- 2 cups of granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 heavy saucepan
The process To Make Sugar Paste:
- Take a thick bottom pan and put it on a low flame heat.
- Add all the items listed and stir gently until the sugar is melted. This takes around 5 to 10 minutes or more.
- If the sugar is not melting properly, then sprinkle some more water. Pay attention to the fact the sugar melts and does not boil. If using an oven to melt it, then set the temperature at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- See to it that the paste does not stick or burn.
- Keep stirring until the sugar syrup is smooth, consistent and thick. Do not allow the mixture to stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Also, take care that the paste does not become too thick to use. It takes some practice and experience to get the consistency right.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the syrup to cool down.
- Your sugar wax is ready to be used. Preserve it in a glass jar for later use.
Sugaring Gel Recipe Ingredients:
- 6 tbsp of honey
- 3 tbsp of glycerin
- 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 saucepan
The Method To Make Gel:
- Take a saucepan with thick bottom. Place it on medium flame.
- Add honey and lemon juice in the saucepan and stir continuously.
- Allow the ingredients to mix well and boil. Stir for about 20 to 25 minutes without letting the paste stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add glycerin to it.
- Keep stirring the mixture till the gel cools down a bit.
- Allow it to cool down completely. Your sugar gel is ready. Transfer the contents of it in a glass jar.
How To Use Sugaring Technique To Have Hairless Skin?
Sugaring and waxing are almost similar in their technique, but the basic difference lies in the technique of application of the wax. Following are the steps to remember while using the paste or gel.
- Wash the part of the body that you want to sugar wax.
- Dry the area but do not scrub it. Scrubbing can irritate the skin and applying warm sugar wax is not recommended.
- Dust some baby powder or cornstarch on the skin. Powder helps absorb any oil patches and excess moisture from the skin. It also aids in sticking the gel or paste to the hair and not to the skin. The skin becomes taut and supports easy hair removal. Hence causes less pain while uprooting the hair.
- Melt the sugar wax, but make sure it is not over heated. Hot wax can burn the skin. It is best to put the wax jar in hot water and not to put it directly on the flame.
- Use a spatula or with the help of fingers apply the first layer of melted wax opposite to the hair growth. In waxing only one layer is smeared and that too along the hair growing direction.
- The second layer is then smeared in the direction of the natural growth direction of the hair.
- Take a clean cotton cloth and press it firmly on the wax. With some force pull the strip against the growth of hair. Some experts do not even use a cotton strip, and pull out the wax with bare hands.
- This technique is comparatively less painful than waxing, but in some cases it can result in mild rashes, redness, and itching. To prevent this reaction, immediately press your palm on the waxed area.
- Wash the part with cold water to soothe the skin and also wash any wax residues.
- Apply a good moisturizer with aloe Vera or vitamin E as the main ingredient.
Important Note: Never stop pulling the strip even if it pains, because if you stop in between it would only increase the pain. Press your palm on the waxed part to soothe the pain.
These are the basic steps to prepare sugaring paste and gel at home. Home made sugaring wax is one of the easiest and inexpensive ways of hair removal. These tips to make sugar wax should help anyone create their own kit at home. And, without spending much on the market products a satisfying end result can be achieved. But it is better to visit a professional for the first time to know how things are done, if not then take help of a friend.